Thursday, September 23, 2010

Florida Part 3: Brooksville

I spent a total of three night's at my grandmother's. It was really great. We've never spent one on one time, to be honest I can't remember the last time I saw her and my grand father by myself. It had been at least 5 years. My grandfather passed away a few months ago and Kate and I flew to Florida for the funeral. I had posted a few pictures from that trip. Since the funeral I wanted to get back to Florida to see my grandmother sometime this fall, it worked out really well that I could work it into the backend of a job.
While there we really just talked a lot, reminiscing about the past and my grandfather. Looking at the photos now I didn't shoot anything that related to him. Kind of weird, I guess in a typical art school mentality the assignment you would give yourself would have been to shoot evidence of his past existence: his chair, photos of him, etc., but thats not what I did. I photographed my Nana, as much as she would let me anyway.



I assumed that she would have taken over my grandfather's chair, but she still uses hers. I can remember this chair for as long as I can think back.
_1010398
My Nana's chair
Brooksville, FL





The first day I was there I just did stuff around the house for her, change fire alarm batteries, replaced her doorbell, etc. On the second day we went to Pine Island, a small man made beach on The Gulf. The water is so shallow for such a far distance there, you would walk out for at least a mile and not go past your chest.
_1010401
Pine Island, Florida





_1010404
My grandmother, Nana
June Callahan
Pine Island, Florida








She's worn this necklace for years, its built up over time, started with one of the fish.
_1010408
My grandmother's necklace
Pine Island, FL







Normally I'd never throw something in the foreground like this but I dig it. Happy accident, I was setting up the camera for a self timer shot of the two of us and this was the test snap.
_1010418
June Callahan
Pine Island, FL



It was a great trip, I got to see my Aunt and Uncle as well. My whole time in Florida was really mellow and it was a good trip to clear my head a bit.




Supposedly you can get arrested for taking pictures like this now.
_1010439
Tampa Airport
Tampa, Florida







_1010442
Kate in elevator at LAX
Los Angeles, CA



This might be my last post for a week or so, I got some tests in the works and finally someone got back to me on a project idea I have. 4x5 camera is loaded and ready to go as well. I'm hoping to make a few pictures on Sunday with it.

No comments: